Maps of Japan's North
- Boyle, Edward. “Cartographic Exchange and Territorial Creation: Rewriting Northern Japan in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries.” In Dissemination of Cartographic Knowledge, edited by Mirela Altić. Springer International Publishing, 2018.
- Howell, David L. Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan. Berkeley, Calif: University of California Press, 2005.
- Morris-Suzuki, Tessa. “The Telescope and the Tinderbox: Rediscovering La Pérouse in the North Pacific.” East Asian History, December 1, 2014, 33–52.
- Rüegg, Jonas. “Mapping the Forgotten Colony: The Ogasawara Islands and the Tokugawa Pivot to the Pacific.” Cross-Currents: East Asian History and Culture Review 6, no. 2 (November 1, 2017): 440–90.
- Toby, Ronald P. Engaging the Other: “Japan” and Its Alter-Egos, 1550-1850. Leiden, Niederlande: Brill, 2019. https://brill.com/view/title/34133.
- Walker, Brett L. “Mamiya Rinzo and the Japanese Exploration of Sakhalin Island: Cartography and Empire.” Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, no. 5 (February 1, 2008).
- ———. The Conquest of Ainu Lands: Ecology and Culture in Japanese Expansion, 1590-1800. Berkeley, Calif: University of California Press, 2001.